With Remembrance Day coming up, one activity children can do at home is to design a war memorial. They can use whatever materials they have at home – items from the recycling bin, play-doh, Lego – whatever you have. These can then be photographed and sent into church and collected in a Facebook album.
Encourage them to think about the following questions:
- How would you want people to feel as they look at your memorial?
- What shape do you want your memorial to be? Do you want there to be words? Pictures?
- Who do you think might visit this memorial? Soldiers who have been in wars? Families of people who have died? People who are praying for peace?
- Could there be an interactive element to your memorial? A place for people to leave names, or prayers, or draw or write something? Will your memorial have moving parts to it?
- Where is God in all this?
A few memorials for inspiration:
Does your church have a war memorial? Can you visit it?